Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Baked Orange-Cranberry Buckwheat Pancake (sugarfree, gluten-free,clean)



 

For Valentine's Day my dad made my mom one of her most favorite things in the world, buckwheat pancakes (they were heart-shaped too, so adorable:) Upon hearing this, I knew instantly what I was having once home for break and after one bite my creative juices started flowing. I knew I wanted to pair the dense, slightly sour buckwheat with the light, brightness of orange. The results was a delicious, dense, sour-sweet, eggy pancake that was quickly gobble up after being drizzled with maple syrup.

 

 
I love buckwheat not only for its unique, tantalizing taste, but also for its amazing health benefits. Buckwheat is actually a berry-seed, so its completely gluten-free. It also has tons of phyto-nutrients, is great for your heart, can prevent gallstones and maybe even breast cancer! Learn more here  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=11
 
 
Total time: 25-30min
Ingredients:
-2 tbsps coconut oil
-4 eggs
-1/2 cup milk
-1/2 cup buckwheat flour
-dash of salt
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
-1 tbsp orange zest
-the juice from one orange
-1/2 cup frozen cranberries
Optional: add pecans and top with shredded coconut
 
Directions: Preheat your oven to 425F. Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then mix together. Pour into a grease cast iron pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Slice into four piece, top with grass-fed butter, maple syrup, or whatever you want, eat and enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment